Thursday, January 17, 2008

My Endorsement

Well, I'm going to endorse a candidate. And I'm then going to vote in the Feb. 5 primary.

As you probably now, I'm very liberal. So to me, the only real options are the Democrats, although I admit I would not be devastated if McCain became our next President. The other Republicans are, unfortunately, unacceptable to me. As much as I do like Mike Huckabee, his positions are just too repulsive.

Anyways, looking at the Demos gives three real options. Kucinich is very interesting and has some very good ideas, but he has no chance at the nomination, and probably wouldn't make an effective President. So, the problem with the other three (Clinton, Obama, and Edwards) is that they are all very, very similar. There is no humongous difference between their positions. So I looked at the other aspects of a candidate.

John Edwards has a fair amount of support, but I don't believe that he can come back. He certainly has the ability, but is still relatively inexperienced, and he's been out of office the last few years.

Barack Obama is certainly a fantastic orator and motivator. He's very bright, but again, is not as experienced as the other candidates. It's a neck and neck race between him and Hillary for the nomination.

Hillary Clinton is my choice for the next President of the United States. She has far and away the most experience, having spent years in the Senate and two terms as First Lady before that. She too is exceptionally smart, and has forged the political connections that are so necessary. Her experience has taught her what it takes to get things done. She can also easily call on the advice of her husband Bill, a luxury not seen before. She may not be the person that "changes" how things are done in Washington, but she is the best choice for the most effective progressive candidate. Last night I bought some stickers from her online store, and on Feb 5 I'm going to punch and/or check the box next to the name Hillary Clinton.

No comments: